Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Lessons in Observation - Winter Storm Warning


The weather service has issued another winter storm warning. Since when has 3-5 inches of snow merited a winter storm warning? Have we become wimpy here in Michigan? Maybe it is the lack of snow this year that has created this new panic, anything more than an inch or two seems like a blizzard. As I sit here by the window preparing for a morning of writing, drinking my freshly brewed coffee, I watch the parade of pickup trucks with snow plows attached travel up and down the road. The snowmen are hungry for snow, hungry for the money clearing other people's driveways brings them. As I watch the snow gently fall, I realize this is the prettiest storm I have every seen. 


**I am in a writing class called Story Slices. Creating bite size stories about every day observations. I am hoping to turn these into a new series - Lessons in Observation. Some many turn out to be longer; reminiscent of The Coffee Shop Chronicles days. I know this is a style of writing I want to get back to, without always having to go to a coffee shop to write them. I have also started an additional Instagram account @herlifeinvignettes, which I will be using as a working creative space for story ideas and life observations. 

15 comments:

Sandra said...

I was so interested to read this, Sarah. I have been looking into the very same thing for myself! I'm waiting to get the answer from a query I sent in! Maybe see you!

Anonymous said...

I have noticed that this winter, too, that every snowflake (or even a rumor of one) brings on that tone of hysteria from the weather people on TV. I guess they have to do something to justify their jobs! I do feel for the plow guys, though - I'm sure they are hurting from the lack of work. As for us, it's 48 degrees and pouring rain at 7:30 this morning.

A Whole Lotta Magic said...

What a great idea this Story Slices!

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

I agree - I pretty much take the winter storm warnings with a grain of salt - yes we had snow, but it was for a few hours and on we go :-)

Unknown said...

Winter storm warning/advisory......they all seem to be the same. And then when it's really bad, we get no warning it seems. HA! I'm just glad I got 2 snow days out of this recent advisory - giving me time to work on and explore my business plan etc.
Good news? The sun is shining in Augusta today..........maybe I'll go out & play in the snow with LtWD! Enjoy your day!

Suburban Girl said...

The image perfectly compliments the story.

Suburban Girl said...

Complements rather.

cheryl Crotty said...

Good for you. I'm lucky to get a blog post done every once in awhile..My time is not always my own. Son, though, when both little ones are in school, I'll have time. For now, I just do the best I can..loving it all.
Wishing you well with your new series and watching the snow fall... Just grey here.

Jeanne said...

How fun to look forward to a new series. If you think it is bad with snow there, you should see Texas

Unknown said...

As I'm reading this, I am smiling, Sarah.
Her in NY, we've also had a very mild winter, and when I heard that the next winter storm was going to "hit" this morning at 7am and be done by 10am, I wondered the very same thing. Didnt a REAL winter storm used to close schools, send people to the grocery store the night before for last minute supplies, and most of all last more than 3 hours??????
Looking forward to your new series!

Michelle B said...

Mild winter or not, I have to say they call a winter storm warning for 3-5 inches of possible snow for us here in SW Ohio. Yes we are wimpy. :) I cannot complain about our mild winter here this year...but I do always look forward to spring. I enjoyed your previous series 'her life in vignettes', I will have to get back over to Instagram to see your new account. Enjoy your 'winter storm'.

Teresa said...

Nice piece, Sarah. We've seen the same kind of phenomenon here in recent years. Earlier, things that are natural in our country were never warned about. Now, the weather service issues various kinds of warnings every now and then. Maybe it is because of the present on-line age and the fact that people like to be more aware of all kinds of events beforehand. Maybe the reason is, at least partly, the fact that nowadays many people seem to have a very poor understanding of many practical things that used to be almost innate knowledge. Such basics as 'icy roads will be slippery' and the like. We have a term for such people. I don't know what the English equivalent might be but our term could be translated 'the nouveau-helpless'.

Cathy H. said...

I love the idea of story slices! Your self-portrait is perfect to go with this one. We panic here in Arkansas when we're getting an inch or two. Usually our snows come with freezing rain or sleet first and that does create problems!

Peggy said...

What a great self portriat. And such a good idea to do a little writing to go along with it. Nice work.

Electric | Journal said...

This sounds like a great class, Sarah... I'm looking forward to your new series!