Saturday, March 26, 2016

Instagram Meet Up

Photo Credit: Sleeping Bear Dunes NPS

Last Saturday, my daughter Mallory and I participated in our first Instagram Meet Up. I have been wanting to do one of these forever, so when the invitation popped up in my Instagram feed on Wednesday, I knew I had to go.


It didn't matter that the meet up was three hours away, what did matter was that the weather forecast called for 100% sunshine, even if the temperature was only going to be 37 degrees. I didn't have anything else I had to do that day, a rare thing for a Saturday. But most important, the meet up was happening in my favorite place on earth - Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore.


The appointed meeting place was the one room schoolhouse. Surprisingly, the schoolhouse is not owned by the National Park Service, it is still owned by the Glen Haven School District, so no inside tour.


We did get an inside tour of the Miller barn that was a short trip down the road. A lot of the wood needed for the restoration work on these old buildings is stored in a scattering of historic barns throughout the park.


From the barn we set off on a short hike to, as my daughter teased me "one of your favorite things". Mallory interned at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore a couple of summers ago, she knew where we were going, but wanted me to be surprised.


A small family cemetery located on the bluff overlooking Lake Michigan, too bad I am not a part of the Werner family, this is where I would like to be buried.


After the cemetery it was an uphill hike to a view from the top of a bluff. The day was crystal clear and we could see for miles.


Just an FYI, that is not Wisconsin in the background behind Mallory - that is North Manitou Island. Mallory and my husband have hiked/camped there on a few occasions and are planning a return trip.

It was a great day spent with my beautiful girl in my favorite place; throw in some history about the area and the Insta Meet was a success.

15 comments:

Andy said...

From my point of view your Instagram meet up was well worth it. I got to look at some very nice photos.

beth said...

how fun….and that schoolhouse…..swoon!!!

Unknown said...

Never heard of these Insta Meet Ups! What absolute fun!!!

Roxi H said...

Looks like you had a good turn out and perfect weather for perfect photos. Neat cemetery. Fabulous barn shot!

Teresa said...

A successful meet-up at a wonderful place. Thank you for the tour!

Ahayes1225 said...

You go girl! I have done some similar things, it is fun.

cheryl Crotty said...

So nice that so many showed up for your meet. Such a lovely day, making for some beautiful photos. By now I think you know how I feel about "time spent". Glad you got this beautiful day with your daughter.

Unknown said...

What fun, Sarah, and it looks like you were in such a beautiful place.

Lynne said...

Sounds and looks wonderful Sarah . . .
Happy Easter Day . . ,

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun, and a wonderful place to meet. The sign on the gate does make us pause.

Jill said...

Lots of great photo ops!

Michelle B said...

Looks like a fun day!

Cathy H. said...

How fun to meet up with others for a day of photography!

Jeanne said...

Such a wonderful day with your lovely daughter. That would be a lovely site to be buried in... or have your ashes sprinkled.

Electric | Journal said...

This sounds like such a perfect day! I'd love to go out with a group of photographers for a day.