Friday, March 4, 2016

Lessons in Observation - Midnight Blue Sky


The dog stood by the door, his signal that he needed to go outside. Not getting a fast enough response he turned his head and fixed his melt-your-heart brown eyes on me. I didn't understand his need to go outside, he had just been out there ten minutes earlier and done all his morning business. Maybe going outside after eating his breakfast was just too much a part of his normal routine, even if he didn't have to do anything.

The eyes won, I grabbed my long, down coat from the closet, pulled on my paisley rain boots, snapped on his leash, and at the last second grabbed my mittens from the counter. I opened the door from the garage and we were off.

He made a beeline down the driveway to the bike path, he thought we were going for a walk. This was not my thought at five o'clock in the morning. Once on the bike path he stopped, giving me a moment to catch up. That's when I noticed it - the enchanted winter wonderland that had been created over night. The stillness. A thick blanket of snow covered the ground absorbing all sound. Above me was the deepest, darkest midnight blue sky, filled with tiny golden lights. Also floating in the sky were jagged edged islands of sooty gray clouds. A weak moon shown through the breaks in the clouds, illuminating the path before us.

Maybe I would indulge the old guy for a quarter mile or so, it was too magical out here to go back to the warm house so soon. We set off down the unplowed bike path. When we reached the subdivision corner, it was time to turn around, my head was cold from the lack of a hat. The dog was disappointed, I have a feeling he had more things he wanted to show me.

Back in the warm house, I gave him one of his big biscuits, to thank him for the breathtaking adventure. Maybe tomorrow I won't forget my hat, and we can travel a little farther.

11 comments:

Teresa said...

A beautiful story. It often happen that something you enter into unexpectedly, even reluctantly, may give you the most memorable moments. Dogs do have enviable instincts.

A Whole Lotta Magic said...

A very impromptu experience ;)

Unknown said...

What a wonderful experience, Sarah.
And my dog does the same thing (want to go out at certain times, even if potty is not on his agenda)! :-)
Have a great weekend.

Unknown said...

Dogs know best, I swear.

Michelle B said...

Sometimes, it seems when we have no expectations is when we find the most beautiful things. It sounds truly magical...

Ahayes1225 said...

Very nice, enjoy your trip!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful, Sarah, a moment to treasure for sure. Next time, be sure to put on the hat! You never know what might await just around that next corner....

The Padre said...

I am amazed by how many adventures the Boy Dog has taken me on when I am completely unmotivated. He simply reminds me to wet my nose and succumb to the smells from the great outdoors. And he's right, Colorado is beautiful.

Cheers

Cathy H. said...

What a wonderful morning adventure! We're having spring weather and you're still getting snow! I'm a little envious!

Sandra said...

What a lovely story - and I love when you said your dog's eyes won! But what a gift you were given!

Electric | Journal said...

That amazing light and color, as the midnight blue night sky slowly brightens up into day. I never get tired of it. It's a magical time, isn't it? Your morning adventure sounds like a perfect way to greet the day... camera in one hand, dog leash in the other.