Sunday, May 19, 2019

Aiming for the Middle


This week I completed a large project that has been hanging over my head since December. It seems I like to spend a lot of time in the concept stage of a project, overthinking it almost to the point of death. The actual doing doesn't take me that long.


In the last three weeks, I have shot, edited and uploaded all the video clips needed for the workshop I am teaching at the end of the summer for Dirty Footprints Studio's Summer Studio. The title of our summer session is - Capturing Moments. My workshop specifically is called: A Personal Note: telling the story. In a nutshell, it is about taking your favorite photographs into your art journal and telling the story behind the photograph using carbon transfer, words, and paint.


This is the first workshop I have ever filmed. Being in front of the camera is very uncomfortable, at least from a talking perspective. I would much rather write than talk. But I knew that I had to give this a try, and I am glad that I did. I learned a lot. All those films I shot last year in Xanthe Berkeley's film course paid off though. The editing portion was a breeze.


As I was preparing to upload them to Dirty Footprints, my husband asked if they would come back with any critique. Ah...no, it is a deadline for a reason. I have watched enough e-courses, and done enough filming that I was comfortable with what I had done. I told him that I wasn't aiming for perfect. That leaves no room for growth. I was aiming to settle in the middle.


Time to move on to some new projects and overthink those to death.


Early Bird pricing for the Summer Studio goes live on June 7. If you are interested, I will have a code for you to use when it goes sale. Stay tuned to my FB page and Instagram, as well as here. 

7 comments:

Rachel Weishaar said...

This is wonderful. Aiming for the middle.

laf80026 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
laf80026 said...

Congratulations Sarah! I love watching your journey and support your success.

Lissa A Forbes
I was trying to login in with a different account, but it was too challenging this morning. ;-)

Carola Bartz said...

Not aiming for perfect because it leaves no room for growth - that sounds perfect to me! Having seen many of your videos I'm certain that your course will be a good one, and I always love your projects. I only see the result anyway and do not witness the "overthinking to death" (sounds familiar though).
I love love love photo #2!

Electric | Journal said...

Congratulations... doesn't it feel grand to come to the end of a big project? Love these photos, especially the second. It's just so full of life feeling, like she's standing on the brink of great possibility.

Viv@Thoughts from the Desktop said...

Fabulous Sarah it will be great your work is always inspirational!

Karen Lakis said...

I love the idea of capturing moments and I love the idea of incorporating photos to tell a story. I will be on the lookout for registration - and hoping to spend more time with my art journal. I Like your idea of aiming for the middle - sounds (almost) perfect!