Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Made of Glass





Glass: A hard, brittle substance, typically transparent or translucent, made by fusing sand with soda, lime, and sometimes other ingredients and cooling rapidly. It is used to make windows, drinking containers, and other articles.



What comes to mind when you think of glass?


Probably not a historic greenhouse.


Our FaceBook photography group has been choosing five different word prompts each week to use as guides for inspiration. We can choose to do all five, just a couple, or fixate on one. I fixate on one. 


When I read the word "glass" on the tiny slip of paper, I immediately wondered where I could go. Then like divine intervention a place jumped to the forefront of my mind. The city greenhouse, with all its wonderful curves, chippy paint, and glass. 


We choose new prompts every Sunday. It took me until the following Sunday to finally get out and shoot. The week had seemed to conspire against me. First, on Sunday our furnace died, and I mean death died. Our furnace technician got it going enough for what I called "weak heat" until the new furnace could be installed on Thursday. We got our first snow and truly cold weather; grateful for that weak heat. Also, I seemed to have some morning obligation each day which prevented me from going to shoot. 


Finally a week later, I stepped out of my car on a snowless and slightly warmer Sunday morning and set up my tripod. The conditions were perfect for the vision I had for the glass greenhouse. 


While I was there with my camera and tripod, I had two different people stop and talk to me. The greenhouse is a popular backdrop for wedding photos, engagement photos and senior pictures. But I don't think people often see a lone photographer decked out head to toe in winter apparel, using a tripod, on an early Sunday morning. I was encouraged by the conversations, even as the battery drained away on my camera. Often the outing is about more than getting the shots.








8 comments:

Karen Lakis said...

Wow!! I really love these images - loads of negative space, muted (to nonexistent) color, the geometry of the architecture with the natural element of the tree branches! When I see this, I think that I should also just fixate on one prompt. I usually only do two, but I don’t fixate and I’m thinking I should. Nicely done!!!

Suburban Girl said...

These images...breathtaking and creative! I especially love the first two. And lucky you to have that city green house. My daughter didn't have heat until yesterday! She bought a fixer upper and the heat system needed fixer uppering.

Beverly said...

The light from the sky, and the glass, all make these, to me, perfect minimalistic photography. "Light and airy" and delicate, yet so engaging, looking at the lines and details of the glass, and view through the door.

Cathy H. said...

This is an amazing building! I can see why it came to mind as a great place for glass photographs! I love the light airy feel, yet there's a feeling of loneliness!

Mildred Ratched said...

I was captivated by your photos! You have a very similar eye as my daughter. You're both very talented. You should pursue your talent and see where it takes you.

Carola Bartz said...

A dying furnace in that cold must have been quite an ordeal - I can understand that you were grateful even for weak heat. I hope the new furnace works well and you can be warm and cozy again.
Such a lovely old greenhouse! I see how it is used as a backdrop for wedding photos etc., but in your photos it is taking center stage. Its charm comes through in your images.

Electric | Journal said...

These are gorgeous photos, Sarah. It's always wonderful to find one of these classic greenhouses that has survived, even better one that's so accessible. Love the detail shots, and oh, that brilliant light!

Carol said...

Stopping by from the Facebook Cuppa with Creatives. Enjoyed your blog!