Sunday, September 15, 2019

Box of Memories


We all have one, an old shoe box or stationary box, shoved to the back of a hall or bedroom closet.


The box may have originally belonged to our grandmother or a great-aunt, but somehow we have become the keeper of it.


Inside is a jumble of memories: childhood moments, former cars and houses, and gone-but-not-forgotten beloved pets.


What do we do with this hodgepodge of visual stories? We were trusted with the box, trusted to keep the memories alive. But how can this be done when there is no complete story?

We write a new story with the bits and pieces.


But what happens when we take our responsibility to be a box keeper so seriously; that when we see somebody else's box of memories on a table at an antique store we must buy that box too.


We feel a deep sense of sadness that nobody is willing or able to be the keeper of these memories.


We're not quite sure how we will write this story of someone else's life, but we are willing to try. Even if that story is just some pretty pictures of forgotten memories in a box.

**Module Three of the photography class I am taking is all about Still Life photography. I am not much of one for pretty styled photo shoots, so I instead I found my way to tell a story with a still life set up. 

6 comments:

Karen Lakis said...

Oh - I love the way you photographed these boxes of memories! This is actually something I started working on after moving - trying to organize these boxes of memories - finding a way to save the ones that seem more special than others. I’ve never bought someone else’s at an antique store. It is kind of sad to think that there is no one to cherish them. This is so beautifully done!

Lynne said...

This stirred me . . . what does happen with all the saved pictures, girl/boy scout badges, prize ribbons from county fair . . .
scrap books, old stationery boxes filled with memory bits and pieces, puffed cover photo albums, slide trays, movie tapes of children . . .
What Does Happen . . .

Your still life photos brought . . . life, passages, memories . . .
Well done piece Sarah . . .

Several years ago I found a beautiful Baby Book in an antique store . . . I couldn’t imagine someone parting with their baby book . ..
I purchased it . . . it seemed lonely and I needed to give it “safe keeping” . . . tender, beautiful pictures, stories of a young life.
I wonder where that book will go . . .
I wonder where my many scrapbooks, photo albums, slide trays, home movies, baby books will find their next place . . .
I wonder . . .

Maggid said...

I add my heart felt appreciation for this post . . Oh My! Thank you for sharing! 💙

ClickNCamera said...

Looks like you are acing your class. These are beautiful photos! I love the simple composition and lighting. I have a similar box (and tokens of family memories), and this makes me want to take some Still Lives (or macros, my favorite) of those special memories. This was very inspirational!

Cathy H. said...

Saying these are wonderful, doesn't seem enough. They touch me. Deeply touch me! I am also the keeper of our familie's memories, photos and treasures. My sister and brother are not the least bit interested in preserving them. I couldn't part with them. What will happen when I'm gone, I'm not sure, but I feel my daughter will become the keeper. I can't imagine someone giving up their family treasures. Maybe they didn't, maybe they were really the last of the family. Our series were similar. I felt drawn to photograph family treasures.

Suburban Girl said...

Love this, YES! I have a collection of decades of someone else's letters I rescued. Of course I read them all.. They were to a farmer int the 30s-50s. His sister did not approve of his career choice but always thanked him for the apples, potatoes or beans.