Sunday, October 22, 2017

Bucket List - Greenfield Village

Photo Credit: Glen Huizenga

This may be the first and only time a sheep leads off a blog post, at least until we finally go to Ireland or I take the future grandchildren to a petting farm. And the best part, this isn't even my photograph. This was taken by my husband last weekend while we were on a date weekend.


We have been keeping up the date days that I gave Glen for Christmas last year: twelve date days - one per month, vacation days required. Unfortunately we missed one in August, due to his being away for a full week for work. So to make up for it we did a date weekend.


Greenfield Village in Dearborn, MI has been on my bucket list forever and I can finally cross it off. In keeping with true Sarah fashion, I did very little research ahead of time. Just enough to know where it was in Dearborn and book us into a hotel within a five minute drive. My tag line on my blog isn't "Striving to find balance between intention and discovery" for no reason. I knew that Greenfield Village was vast, it was created by Henry Ford (Ford Motor Company) in 1929, so it was old, and that there would be plenty of stuff to photograph. I didn't need anything else.


When we arrived it was a bit chilly and overcast, perfect weather and light in my mind. After a visit to the Firestone Farm area to get those shutter fingers warmed up, I saw that the steam-powered train was in the station. Since we had purchased orange wrist bands to ride all the attractions, we were off to ride the train.

Photo Credit: Glen Huizenga

I love trains, and this is were America fails in travel. With trains you can see the country, move at a decent rate of speed and the best part for someone with a less than stellar back, I can get up and move around. This train only went around the park, so no need to stretch my back, but still an awesome ride and great views.


Since we were sitting in the back of the open air rail car, I took the opportunity to do some train "street" photography. Seemed less risky with nobody sitting behind us.

Photo Credit: Glen Huizenga


So much old building love...


Favorite building. Edison's Menlo Park Machine Shop...


Those high ceilings, white walls, wood floors and lots and lots of tall windows. Don't you think this would be the perfect creative studio? Plenty of room for all my friends.

Photo Credit: Glen Huizenga

We spent five hours at Greenfield Village and took many photos between the two of us. It was a great date day. The second day we spent at the Henry Ford Museum and took the Rouge Factory tour where they make Ford F150 trucks, that took us about six hours to do both. So if you plan on visiting make sure you have a good day or two for it, depending on what you want to do.

Dearborn Michigan Restaurant Recommendations

I always try to give you a few restaurant recommendations when we travel, because we love local restaurants with good food and good service. Glen is always in charge of the research of them.


Miller's Bar - Don't let the outside deter you. Most unique bar we have ever visited - no menus, only serve hamburgers with or without cheese, fries and onion rings, condiments are on the table. Bottled beer, no mixed drinks. No plates, wax paper for your plate. No bill, on the honor system, you tell the cashier what you had. Great service! We would definitely go back, great burgers.


Ford's Garage - It must have been the weekend of the burger. Our second night we went to Ford's Garage, part of a chain, but still seemed fitting for where we were. Plan on waiting at least an hour. We got there shortly after five and got seated a little after six. The service was great! The burgers were large and messy and yummy (they do serve more than burgers). The fries were fabulous! Beer choices were pretty vast.

If you only have time for one place though, I would pick Miller's hands down, much more unique experience and we got seated right away there.

19 comments:

Karen Lakis said...

I love the mixture of photos - both yours and Glen's. "True Sarah fashion" sound like a lot of fun - I admit it, I'm a researcher, planner... I love your header photo! I'm not sure when you changed it - I think that because I do so much of my blog reading through feedly on my iPhone, I often miss these details. I love everything about it - the perspective, the focus, the lines, the misty weather - the feeling of exploration and discovery.

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

Millers Bar is the best! And I love Greenfield Village. I can highly recommend both the holiday nights where all the paths are lit by lanterns and the 4th of July Fireworks with the DSO. It's just a fabulous place.

Rachel Weishaar said...

I love the picture of you taking a photo, the header, the tag line, and all the stuff in between.

Unknown said...

Looks like a perfect day to me. I've always loved those old brick factory buildings...I can picture a beautiful loft apartment!

susan hemann said...

my favorite place growing up, lovely photos

Katie said...

Ah, these are great, Sarah! Looks like you all had a fabulous time.
And yes to the machine shop! My first thought was: "Oh my, what a great place for portrait work!"
Hope you have a happy week!

Sandra said...

It seems like you had a great date day! I love those red bricks, they remind me of England! I also love the third shot down. I think you've put up a new header! I like it! Wishing you a good week!

Unknown said...

It has been years since we went to Greenfield Village - maybe it's time for a trip back!

Cathy H. said...

Definitely my kind of place to roam around in! I am a little bit of a planner. I have regrets if I travel, take picture, and then get home and realized there was something wonderful I missed! So a little planning for me, but always open to exploring! Of course, I love that sweet sheep, but the third image is simply fantastic! You capture the essence of this place with your point of view and the perfect amount of blur in the background. Wonderful post!

Unknown said...

What a great date weekend, Sarah.
This looks like a wonderful place to be with a camera, and those burgers look yummy!

Ida said...

Looks like a wonderful place to visit. The photos were delightful. Loved the shot of the door.

Ida said...

Oops, I forgot I also like that sheep at the beginning.

Michelle B said...

What a great date-weekend! Looks like you found good food and the overcast sky was perfect for photography. I bet between the two of you, you must have over a thousand pictures to look through! I have been to the Edison and Ford Winter Estates in Florida many years ago. It was so interesting learning about people who shaped how we live with their inventions...and so much old stuff to photograph. :)

Amy said...

i think what you're doing is a great idea, every few weeks we go on a road trip together with our cameras, good way to spend time together.

Anonymous said...

What a great post, and a wonderful adventure for you both. I'm enjoying seeing Glen's photos, too. He's got a good eye! And I LOVE your new header!

Denise Fabian said...

I haven't been there since I was a child! Thanks for the memories!

Nancy said...

Sounds and looks like a very interesting place to visit. I love that you included both yours and Glen's pictures...

Electric | Journal said...

This looks like just our kind of place to spend a day. DW loves trains and shops (especially woodworking and machine shops), and I'm an old building junkie. Thanks also for sharing your favorite restaurants. What a great adventure!

Suburban Girl said...

Gosh, I wish I had seen this before going to MI! I assume we will visit our daughter again though and can make this a stop. She's there for 1 1/2 - 2 years. She moved from San Diego and is finding the weather quite an adjustment.