Saturday, May 4, 2019

Fixing What Was Broken


I never imagined when I ended this blog that I would so completely and unequivocally lose my way. I figured I would have the time I needed to devote to my fledgling business, and to a small degree that was true. But without blogging, I lost the motivation to make photographs. I lost the ability to share in the way that is truest for me.


Yes, since December somebody has been taking up most of my spare time and energy. But when my husband and I went on a cruise in early March, and I had a whole week without him, but still couldn't find excitement in taking photographs or editing them; I knew something was seriously broken and I had to figure out how to fix it.

Two events in April/May have been catalysts for me being back in this space today.


The first event was our 2nd Annual Huizenga family vacation at the end of April up in northern Michigan. We rented the same airbnb.com that we rented last year, thankfully minus the snow this year, and with an additional dog in tow. It was still great, but very different from all my other trips to the north country. I have never had a dog of my own along. This changed my morning routine. Instead of going out shooting every morning, we drove in to town and practiced his loose leash walking. I brought my dslr along, but never once took it out of its bag. The best camera is the one that is always with you. I shot a lot with my phone. I also shot a lot of video clips that will be complied into this year's vacation films. This creativity made me very happy, and was one giant step towards fixing what was broken.


The problem was that I had all these great mobile photos and films clips, but I had no way to share them other than FB, which is fine...but...I need to tell the stories as well. A FB post isn't the space for that. I didn't realize until this trip, a trip we have taken many times, how important the words and the stories are to me.


The second event was in early May. I was asked by a friend of mine if her daughter could shadow me for a day. Eighth graders around this area usually have a Shadow Day towards the end of the school year where they get to pick somebody in a profession they are interested and follow them around for a morning. She is interested in photography. Since I have a "business" I counted as somebody she could shadow. I said yes immediately.

I am nearing the finish line, or at least the finish date for the videos I had to shoot for the Dirty Footprints Studio summer workshop I was asked to do. On our Shadow Day, I had some interesting revelations about all of that as well. I will be sharing about our Shadow Day in my next post. I wanted to give it its own breadth and light.

Eventually, I will be moving my blog to my new website for Twisted Road Studio. Once I get these workshop videos finished, I will have the time to work on that. I have decided the new blog will be called Tales from the Twisted Road.

Stay tuned! I will be back.

Sarah

14 comments:

Sandra said...

So nice to see you again, Sarah! That's really interesting to hear how you missed sharing your photos and stories through your blog! Blogs are a little like journals. A place to record our lives and often our thoughts and images that are part of who we are. I love looking back on past postings in my own blog. I've always loved the blog sharing that goes on and the connection with other people from different countries and was sad when so many blogs I followed started to close down and go to Instagram and other places.
So, welcome back to the happy, sharing land of blogs!
A lovely, happy portrait of you with your new young dog!

Gerri Jones said...

Welcome back Sarah - so glad I was able to catch this and see where your journey has taken you so far. I'm excited to hear how the business portion of things are going for you as well, but really enjoy your images connected to your stories!

chasing the sun said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
chasing the sun said...


I’m so glad you are back..I get what you are saying about cameras as well..My DSLR has been on the blink, but my phone has a reasonably good camera and is always handy...There is something soulful about blogging that is lost in other media, for those who like to write ~Lisa Comperry~

Cathy H. said...

This brings tears of happiness!! I am SO glad your'e back! I love looking at pictures, but it is the stories that make the pictures complete. That's what I missed when so many left their blogs and went to Instagram. It's just not the same! I don't blog as often, but I'm still chugging along! Looking forward to Tales From The Twisted Road!

Electric | Journal said...

So glad to hear you're coming back to blogging, Sarah. I'm looking forward to reading about your new adventures, and seeing more of your lovely photographs.

Peggy said...

It is so nice to see you back on your blog Sarah. It was one of those I went to for photography inspiration. You are such a good writer as well and I learned from you. So many are turning to Instagram which I find is not as personal. Thank you for returning.

Carol said...

also so glad you are back! I had really just found your blog when you left, but I was enjoying it so much. I felt this same way when FOL stopped. as everyone has said, IG is not the same. The process of writing every two weeks really forced me to keep up with my creativity and get things no paper. Going back to blogging is not for me right now, but I definitely miss it.

I am so glad I will be reading your beautiful writing again!!

Carol said...

See your blog post in my in-box really brightened my day. I've really missed your posts and I'm so glad to read them again.

Masha said...

I've missed your blog posts, I always enjoyed reading them, you have a way with not only photos but with words. I'm happy to read your blogs again.

Karen Lakis said...

Yay!!!

Cheryl Crotty said...

Nice to see you back Sarah. I've been a bit behind myself and hoping to do better going forward also. Loved your photos here.

Mary Anne Harris said...

Ah Sarah so glad you have returned to our lives in this way. You inspire many - so now, may you know that inspiration come back to you full circle and enlarged!

Carola Bartz said...

I for one am very glad that you are back, Sarah. I have always enjoyed your images AND your words. So often they resonated with me. Sometimes - like at the moment during high school madness - I take an involuntary blog break and I miss the connection. That's another important part of blogging I think.