Sunday, September 2, 2018

Small Town Adventure - Bowling Green, Ohio


On a recent Friday morning, my husband called and said, "I have to be in Bowling Green, Ohio for a meeting Monday morning, do you want to come along?" Since his meeting was at 8:30 and Bowling Green is a good 3-1/2 hours from our house, he was planning to leave Sunday afternoon and stay overnight.

While he is asking me this question, I am lying on the couch on a bag of ice. I had tweaked a muscle in my back the day before, causing the whole right side of my body to feel like a pulled taut bungee cord. You would think my immediate answer would be, "I can't." But having been through this predicament before, generally a whole lot of ice and ibuprofen takes care of the problem in a couple of days. Since nothing was required of me but getting into the car on Sunday, I told him I would decide one way or the other Sunday morning.


Sunday morning while not perfect, I could sit with minimal discomfort. Googling Bowling Green, Ohio, an image search revealed: old buildings, a quaint-looking downtown, and some nature parks. Plenty to keep me busy on Monday.


At three o'clock Sunday afternoon, I climbed into the car, cranked the heated seat to high, and stretched out the best I could. Almost four hours later, we arrived at our hotel.

At dinner that night with one of my husband's coworkers and his wife, I posed the question - where would be some good places to go photograph? This can be a risky question to ask non-photographers. Chris suggested the Historical Center and Museum which was two stop signs down the road from our hotel. As soon as he said old buildings and cemetery, I knew that his suggestion could be taken seriously.


Shortly after eight o'clock Monday morning, I checked out of the hotel (Glen had already left with another colleague) and drove two stop signs down the road, crossed a country highway and found the Wood County Historical Center. Formerly, the Wood County Infirmary, i.e. county poor house. I was in heaven.



The Wood County Infirmary operated from 1869-1971. After 102 years of operation the Infirmary closed. It reopened in 1975 as a Museum. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.


The Infirmary Cemetery is the final resting place of over 400 Wood County residents. Not everybody buried here lived in the Infirmary. Residents too poor to afford burial in a public cemetery were also buried here. The county paid for a simple pine box and grave marker noted with a number. They do have records of who is buried here, but none that indict which number belongs to which name.


Two parks that I also visited while in Bowling Green were: Wintergarden Park and Simpson Garden Community Center. Both beautiful parks, but it was too hot and too sunny for any good photos. I am hoping to be invited back to Bowling Green so I can explore further.

9 comments:

Karen Lakis said...

I'm so glad that your back was feeling well enough for this little photo journey. A Lunatic House... Why can I not imagine you missing that opportunity? I love the colors and details in this series of photos, and for some reason, I want to peak inside that hog house (which is odd for me because I know how they can smell...)

A photo trip? Yes! Count me in - although I suspect I will learn far more from you than the other way around. I promise to try to offer fun company... Seriously, though, this could be a lot of fun - you visit some of the neatest places and I could really use the adventure. Let's plan.

sarawelder said...

Looks like you made the right decision!

Carola Bartz said...

I can see why this old building, what it once was and its surrounding would draw you in - it is so what you love to photograph, and you your photos tell that you loved it. I hope that tweaked muscle is much better by now and you can move freely without any pain.

Michelle B said...

I have never been to Bowling Green, Ohio! I will have to go sometime. :) You were steered in the right direction with the suggestion for the Historical Center, what a great place with the old buildings and cemetery. Love your pictures. My favorite is the building with the herb garden sign, great post processing. My second favorite is your photo with the white building and the curtains in the window. I am glad your back was feeling better so you could have some fun on a photo adventure.

Cathy H. said...

You wound up in the perfect place! I know how you love old buildings and you always find the best way to photograph them! I love the picture of the herb garden!! I empathize with you on the back pain. I'm in the same boat right now, ice and ibuprofen is the best remedy!

sanpiseth40 said...

Hello, I went by to say hello, since I've been disconnected from everything for a long time. As always I love your work. That I still think that they are not chapucillas, but great works. A kiss.
หนังใหม่

Unknown said...

I embody the moment and try to connect to those round me in an actual manner. I realize we all have struggling and We Do Your Assignment that i embody my very own as well as attaining out to help others.

Liam said...

If you are searching Assignment help.You can suggest them to use different online sources to develop the reading habit in them. Using different online sources can be beneficial for their assignment help for a long run. Organise each topic in a story form to develop their interest in the class.Online Assignment Help

Adam Thomas said...

Thank you very much for sharing this very useful information.
AllAssignmenthelp.co.uk Reviews