Sunday, June 17, 2018

Real or Not?


At the beginning of May, my husband and I attended a Symphony Fundraiser. We do not belong to the high-brow club, but this is one event we enjoy attending each year. My husband's work sponsors a table at it, and we are one of the fortunate couples that are invited to share the table. Plus, anything to support the arts.

There is also a silent auction that is fun to peruse before the dinner and entertainment. Most items are beyond our budget, but every once in a while we stumble upon a treasure. Three years ago, we bid on and won two passes to the three summer plays in a nearby resort town. We have continued to buy the three-plays bundle passes since then, we love them that much.


This year we bid on and "won" two annual passes to the Muskegon Museum of Art. Before last year, I had never been to this particular museum, usually going to the big art museum in the city and bypassing the smaller one. But...I have been missing out. This museum is smaller, but it is also more intimate and the variety of exhibits is exceptional.

Tuesday, I finally had a free day to meander my way up to Muskegon and redeem our gift certificate so we can get our passes. It was a perfect day. Temperatures in the low 70's, blue skies, and a slight breeze. I may have made a few stops at favorite beaches along the way.


The main gallery had three exhibits: the first one was these life-size resin sculptures created by Marc Sijan. The attention to detail with the skin coloration, winkles, moles, the good and the bad skin folds was beyond words. I kept circling them, marveling at each detail.

The second exhibit was twelve photographs taken in the summer of 1951 by Dorothy Thompson with her Kodak Brownie camera of the Whiskey Ridge Raceway.


The third exhibit was of American Icon: The Art of the Motorcycle. I would never ride a motorcycle, but I do love vintage machinery in any form.

I was the only one in the galleries most of the time, which was pleasant and quiet, and gave me lots of time to just look.


The other gallery I found so inspiring last time, and felt the same again, was the gallery of paintings. To see different styles near each other gives me a clearer impression of what I like and what I don't like. The trick is figuring out why I am drawn to some and not others. These observations give me insight into my own work.

I can't wait to spend a year exploring the museum, and this may become just like those summer plays, a reoccurring adventure.

When was the last time you visited a museum?

End Notes 

My June filming project is coming along well. My prompts are keeping me on track. My 3 X 5 cards are my favorite way to be inspired daily.

I have decided to make a short film of each week, because we all know I hate long films. I have had a theme emerge that will be my slightly longer feature film for the month. I have missed making my films, so it was fun to put this first one together. As always, Findley tends to be the star of the film...


June Begins... from Sarah Huizenga on Vimeo.


10 comments:

Sandra said...

What a wonderful place to visit. The art looks lovely from the shot you show and those life-sized resin sculptures are amazing. I especially love the policeman. I enjoyed your little film and find you have chosen the ideal length!
Have a lovely Sunday and rest of the week!

Karen Lakis said...

Museums... I have two wonderful museums practically across the street from my office. I often think I'll get a pass and go there occasionally during my lunch. Not so much. I think the last time I went was a couple of years ago to see a quilt exhibit. It was awesome, but I forget it's there. You're going to have fun with your museum passes - dropping in now and then - food for the spirit.
We do regularly attend our local summer theater - 2-3 shows each summer. I have always loved live theater, and our theater in Vermont puts on excellent productions.
I'm glad your filming is going well - as usual, I enjoyed this one too. Findley makes for a very handsome star!

Unknown said...

Loving the short films! Happy summer exploring!

Suburban Girl said...

It's nice you could take photos inside the museum. I wonder if anyone had to pose for those life like sculptures. That would be intimidating for me!

Cathy H. said...

I've always enjoyed visiting art museums. I had planned this year to visit museums more often, but my surgery changed that plan. Now, would be a good time to begin again. It's too hot to be outside!! Love your new film. Findley is certainly a star!!

sanpiseth40 said...

I think this is one of the most significant information for me.
And i’m glad reading your article.
But should remark on some general things, the web site style is perfect,
the articles is really great : D. Good job…
ดูหนัง

Michelle B said...

The museum looks like it has some wonderful exhibits. My husband would love the Art of the Motorcycle. He loves riding his motorcycle, I just sit on the back and hold on. I use to think there was a sense of freedom while riding, now I could really take it or leave it. A convertible car would be much more comfortable. :) I love your June video.

Carola Bartz said...

What an interesting exhibition (the resin sculptures) - I'm always amazed at this artwork. I can't even remember when I was in a museum the last time. To go to the same museum several times during one year sounds very appealing to me. You can see the items you really like in detail and discover some new interesting ones.
Gosh, I wish I had some of Findley's energy...

Suburban Girl said...

I love a museum that lets you take photos! Around here photos are not allowed in mosts traditional museums.

Stephine said...

This museum is smaller but it is also extra intimate and the kind of well known shows is remarkable. I subsequently had a loose day to meander my manner We Write Essay as much as Muskeg on and redeem our gift certificate so we will get our passes. I woud never journey a motorbike however I do love vintage machinery in any form.