Sunday, May 13, 2018

The Hour of Homecoming - Part Two

You can read Part One of this post here.


It was easy getting in the car, it was fairly easy to drive now that windows were scraped free of ice, the hard part was deciding where to go. The abandoned, rural farmsteads of Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore that I always photographed where too far away to reach before the golden hour had come and gone.


I pulled out of the driveway, which way to go? I knew the way to the main road, but where might these other roads, roads that had their own ridge lines to follow, where did they lead? I knew I would be wasting precious golden hour time, but curiosity won out, and it's a peninsula, I wasn't going to get lost. Also, I had a whole week ahead of me, I didn't need to conquer everything in one day. All I needed to do was get one decent shot, and the pressure to create would be lifted.


Just as I suspected, all these random roads still led to the main road, and probably quicker than if I had taken my known way to it. Getting my bearings, I realized I wasn't more than fifteen minutes from the lighthouse that was at the northern tip of the peninsula. I never get to the lighthouse for golden hour, it is too far from where we usually stay, and to leave before dawn creates risk of a car/deer encounter, deer seem to be abundant on the peninsula.


So the lighthouse it was, and since it was still off-season, there wouldn't be any campers at the state park yet, meaning I would have the place to myself.  I had brought my tripod with me, just as I do on every trip north, but this time I was determined to actually take it out of the car. Self-portrait work can only be achieved with a tripod, and I was on a vacation of adventure and discovery.

Family collaborative vacation film - Day 2. Part of this was shot at the lighthouse in the evening...


Day Two - Leelanau Vacation from Sarah Huizenga on Vimeo.

End Note

This vacation has made me dig deeper into this place and my relationship to it. I have decided to take from my bookshelf an old e-course that I took in 2013 - A Sense of Place led by Kat Sloma. I have never completed the course, but I have all the materials. I am going to give it a try once again, maybe now is the right time...

I will be taking a short blog vacation. I need to put some time and energy into my website. Also the kitchen flooring will finally go in the end of this month, and I have some painting to finish before then, and there's fifteen yards of bark to spread outside... 

12 comments:

Rachel Weishaar said...

This was a peaceful happy video. The thing that strikes me after watching a few of these creations is that you're crystal clear about who you are. That's what is so compelling about all your work. I'm so glad you share these!

Karen Lakis said...

Your videos are wonderful! How awesome to take the I travelled road and wind up at the lighthouse where no one is around yet - to have it to yourself and feel free to create (plus still have most of the week in front of you) I’m not sure about Merriam Webster, but I’m pretty sure in my dictionary, that is the definition of heaven.

Suburban Girl said...

I hope you get all your tasks finished quickly so you can post again soon. Your adventures with the camera are inspiring even though I don't get out as often as I'd like to. I love the rustic-ness of the sign photo.

Lynne said...

I enjoyed your video . . . Very Much!
Happy Blog Break Time . . .
Remember to have some rest and fun in the midst of the work!
(I am “mothering” . . .)

Beverly said...

Thank you for taking us on your vacation Sarah! I love your videos, and photography. Such a wonderful lighthouse. Would love to see inside, and look out the windows. Hope your projects all go well.

Michelle B said...

You had a wonderful adventure! I always second guess myself while deciding which direction to go when we are out adventuring, I guess I need to realize wherever we go it will be a great adventure. :) Wonderful pictures. I love the golden hour shot with the frost on the window, and also your video. I hope all your projects go well. There seems to be twice as many things to get finished this time of year...

Carola Bartz said...

Another beautiful video with so much atmosphere. One can see your love for this place.

Sandra said...

What lovely parts of your life on this latest video. I really like the upbeat music you choose too! Enjoy your blog break. We all need those from time to time!

Jill said...

These little films will be treasured forever. I have four on my list (that I have the footage for) to make now that time is being freed up for me. I really like the break from the music to the water at the end. Great job!

Electric | Journal said...

I love your videos of your vacation. You didn't get the weather you'd hoped for, but you'll never forget this trip. How cool that you found an old farmhouse to stay in!

vaiybora said...

I really like your post good blog on site,Thanks for your sharing.

ดูหนัง

sanpiseth40 said...

I think this is one of the most significant information for me.
And i’m glad reading your article.
But should remark on some general things, the web site style is perfect,
the articles is really great : D. Good job…
ดูหนัง