Thursday, December 7, 2017

365 Project


Day 80

On September 3, 2017 I began what I like to think of as my third successful 365 Project, I am only 95 days in, so at this point it is still speculation whether I will actually finish it.

Day 1

I had no intention of starting a 365 Project, it was just a whim, inspired by the photo above. A plate empty of Labor Day snacks casually left on the steps to the deck, while my girl played frisbee with her dog in the sun-warmed, late summer grass. Something about the way the light was hitting plate, the weeds that were poking through the railing, made me want to capture the moment.

Day 4

Capturing that moment made me think about other every day moments that I would like to document to tell the story of a year in my life.

Day 5

My last successful 365 Project began on September 1, 2013 and ended August 31, 2014. I knew I had an album of almost all of those photos on Flickr, so I took a trip down memory lane as I went through the album. Back then I had just begun doing Backroads Adventures, it was fun to see those places again for the first time. Both my golden retrievers were alive in 2013, seeing photos of them was bittersweet. In my new 365 project, Findley, the grand dog, gets to be the star of the show.

Day 59

In the 2013-2014 project, I was part of a group doing it together, that support was priceless. This time I will be doing it alone. In the 2013-2014 project, we didn't have any constraints, just post a photo a day in the Flickr group; any subject, any lens, any camera. This time I wanted a little more structure, maybe not necessarily in subject matter but in something...

Day 43

Since that first Labor Day photo was taken with my Canon and the Lensbaby Velvet 56 Lens, I decided to do the whole project with the constraint of the Velvet 56 Lens. I love the lens and using it for a whole year will definitely force me to know it like the back of my hand. The lens has the capability for macro and also great depth and detail, perfect.

Day 63

Things were going along great until my mom had her emergency heart surgery. Suddenly, I was trapped in a hospital while it rained and rained outside. But...I was already 61 days into this project, and I refused to lose those completed days, I refused to quit, so I did the best I could with what I had.

Day 73

November was definitely "the lows" compared to "the highs" of September and October. Even our family trip to Disney failed to inspire me, but still I refused to quit. I kept pushing on, taking it day by day, knowing that none of these would be my favorites but they were proof of perseverance, and there is something to be said for that. There will be more "lows" and "highs" before this year of 365 photos is over.

Day 37

Winter will present its own set of challenges, the inability to go outside, the cold, the snow.

Day 91

But this is my story, my adventure, my life and it must include all the exhilarating highs and disastrous lows because that is how life's sea billows roll.

If you are interested in seeing all of my 365 photos thus far hopefully this link will work.

**One interesting little tidbit my Lensbaby Velvet 56 lens arrived on my door step one year ago today. We have come a long way together in a year

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm still plugging through my 365 of daily life as well. I have struggled some days for inspiration, I have not liked some of my captures, but it is life. My life. I need not please anyone, including myself. Because when I'm not particularly happy with a specific shot, it pushes me to learn from it - what I don't like, what I'm really trying to capture and focus on. If you need a gentle push from time to time - just hit me up girl, you know where to find me!!

Jill said...

I need to learn more about this lens. It sounds and obviously, looks interesting! I wish you well on the rest of your days in this project. I'm still thinking a 30 day project would be my starting point. Maybe a 7 day. haha!

Eliza Waters said...

An impressive project, Sarah, esp. with the perseverance you bring to it. I doubt I could commit to 30 days! Love the mood of observation present in these photos.

Anonymous said...

Ah, that first 365 project. That was a great group and a wonderful experience. As you know, I've been doing my own since then with a calendar photo-a-day app on my phone. I've enjoyed capturing something that recalls each day. What I like about your current project is that limitation you've set yourself. You're not just grabbing a shot every day, but pursuing a certain goal, of using and growing with that lens. So far it looks like you're doing a great job. There's a wonderful variety here!

Electric | Journal said...

I have another friend who has done a 365-day photography journey, and I have such admiration for this kind of dedication. I like how you will fine-tune your adventure, by focusing on the one special lens. I look forward to seeing your photos.

Angie Lambert Photography and Illustration said...

Lovely reading, as always, Sarah. Your dedication to experiencing and sharing these amazing 365 journeys is much appreciated and enjoyed. Click on! xo

Sandra said...

I love all your shots here, Sarah: the leading lines, the selective focus and of course gorgeous Findley in a perfect and lovable pose! I think that a 365-day journey is a wonderful idea and I've been doing a photo journal since April this year! I'm a little like you in that I like to concentrate on one camera lens over a long period of time.

Katie said...

I began my 365 in 2011, and haven't really quit. It became such a habit to take a picture (or pictures) every day that I really can't NOT make myself not take a photo daily. I've fallen ff from posting them publicly, but I'm going to re-dedicate myself in 2018 to doing so. I think it's a wonderful "addiction" to fall into, and I love how you're using only the Velvet for your journey.

BTW, how do you like that lens? Is it hard to grasp? Maybe I'll splurge on one for next year. Lensbabys have always intrigued me.

Lynne said...

I do adore seeing your photos . . .
A little magic happens . . . like on Day 91 . . .

Carola Bartz said...

What a beautiful project! I looked at your photos on the Flickr gallery and I like the diversity. I need to make myself knowledgable about that lens you're using. It looks interesting.
I remember I did a 365 days project in 2013 and I did 189 days... (not in sequence but across that year).

Unknown said...

What a great idea for your 365 project, Sarah.
This lens is one of my very favorites. It is truly so versatile.
Have a wonderful weekend!

Suburban Girl said...

I love Day 5. I never did a 365 project, I can't even stick to a 52 week project. :(

Amy said...

I'm loving these photos, I think for me my favourites are the leaf and the window. Showing truly what Autumn is all about.

Karen Lakis said...

This is wonderful - I am so terrible at 365 day things - even with my iPhone which should be a no-brainer. Every one of those photos is special in its own way - you even managed to capture a unique image from the window of the hospital. I hope your mom is recovering well. Someday when you're bored and feel like writing an email - I'd love to hear more about this lens. This is the one you brought to Boston - yes? I remember looking at it briefly and snapping an awesome photo with it ;-) - Why is it so different from other lenses?

Michelle B said...

What a lovely way to document your year. You are right, we have highs and lows and our creativity shouldn't be set aside just because we think we aren't around anything 'good enough' to photograph. We just need to look closer, because there is always something wonderful to take a picture of. Day 1 is gorgeous and I can understand how it sparked you to start the project. I am horrible at any daily project, maybe I should just start one and let go of the need to get it perfect... Your practice is inspiring.